World’s Highest Glacier Palace at Klein Matterhorn
If visiting the highest Glacier Palace in the world is on your bucket list, then head to Zermatt, book a ticket up to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and enter a world of eternal ice.
I have to be honest with you, I thought it might be a quick walk through and done, but boy was I wrong.
The visit to the Glacier Palace at the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in Zermatt was an experience not to be missed
Memories made forever. In words, stunning, epic, magic & unbelievably beautiful.
I hope that after reading this blog and seeing the photos you will agree with me!
How to get to the Glacier Palace at the Klein Matterhorn
I have written an extensive blog about visiting Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and where the Glacier Palace at Klein Matterhorn is situated.
You will also find information on
- How to get to Zermatt
- Which cable car to take to reach Klein Matterhorn
- Altitude sickness information
- What to expect when riding up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
- Summit activities and what to see
Read all the info here on how to get to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Enter the eternal ice at the Glacier Palace at Klein Matterhorn
Before you go make sure you are dressed with warm clothes. It is freezing cold like expected. Believe me you will enjoy it much more when you are just a bit cold than freezing cold. And as this place is epic it would be a shame if you have to rush it.
We had woolly hats, gloves, hiking shoes, and 4 layers including a quilted jacket. My daughter was quite cold at the end even with all these clothes.
What to expect at the Glacier Palace at Klein Matterhorn
For me just the sheer thought of being inside a glacier was epic. Imagine standing 15 metres below the surface inside the world’s highest glacier palace!
The kids absolutely loved it, Elsa & Anna from the movie Frozen were suddenly real. The sparkle in their eyes as they saw each ice sculpture and their enthusiasm to explore were priceless. Lucas flipped totally when he saw the large Ice Dragon and Chloe tried to collect all the fallen sparkling ice particles.
You need about 30 to 45 minutes to really enjoy it and honestly more would be probably just too cold.
When you exit the lift you are 15 metres inside the glacier which I already found amazing. We were met by transparent ice walls, ice crystals glittering and sparkling , and small crevasses perfect for exploring with a torch. I was in awe and if this is all that I saw I would have left happy.
But there is more, much more.
Walk down the “Blue Carpet” and enjoy the Glacier Palace at Klein Matterhorn which is part of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in Zermatt.
Inside the walk tunnels I recommend to take the torch on your phone and shine it deep into the crevasses. It is clearly a different world.
First you will get to the Marmot enclosure. Whoever created all these ice sculptures is a magnificent artist.
They are so detailed and seem unbelievably real.
If you have a special event to celebrate and need a bar, here you can rent the Star Bar. Fur covered seats for comfort and you can be sure your drinks will be ice cold.
Grab a cushioned mat and slide down the ice tunnel. For some reason it did not really slide, actually not at all. 🙂 We had to shuffle down with our feet to get to the end. Still a fun thing to do and the kids found it hilarious that we were stuck inside the ice tunnel.
As you walk around you will get to the Lucky Buddha corner. Stick a penny or whatever money it is you have inside your pocket on the eternal ice and make a wish.
Lucas’s favourite was the dragon. He could not believe his eyes when he saw it. His reaction was priceless!
The panorama room. Impressive how the artists have sculptured the whole local mountain panorama in ice.
So much detail on this corner here, it is unbelievable. Take a seat und make memories.
One of the most impressive sculptures we found were the eagles.
Suggestions & Tips
- Make sure you have warm clothes
- Even if the weather is not good, you can still visit the Glacier Palace
- After the full experience at the Matterhorn Glacier Palace, you could now go for lunch at the world highest mountain station restaurant and keep marvelling at the breathtaking panorama.
- Don’t forget to visit Europe’s highest viewing platform. A breathtakingly stunning 360° view awaits.
- As mentioned before, 30 min to 45 min is enough, the kids got cold and for us it was also time to get outside and warm up again.
See what the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise offers
You may also like these Family Activities in Zermatt & the Valais
- Zermatt - 13 Best things to do in Zermatt
- Zermatt - Matterhorn Glacier Paradise - An Epic Family Experience
- Zermatt - A Family Day trip to Zermatt
- Zermatt -Gornergrad - Viewpoint reachable with ease - NO HIKING
- Zermatt - Matterhorn Glacier Paradise - An Epic Family trip
- Evolène – Ferpècle – Bike ride to the Mont- Mine Glacier, Val D’Hérenes
- Nendaz -Activities for Families – Tracouet Station Lac Noir
- 20 Family Friendly Things to do in Valais
I hope that the information provided here will prove itself useful when visiting the World's highest Glacier Palace at Klein Matterhorn which is part of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in Zermatt.
If I have left anything out or you have a question, please ask your questions in the comments below so that other readers can join in the conversation and benefit from your queries also.